Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (2024)

Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (1)

Because DDC is a highly-accredited and trusted paternity-testing lab, we handle large numbers of customer questions every week via phone call, email, and social media. We sometimes get inquiries about the possibility of paternity fraud, especially when a news story on the subject pops up. Here are the top three questions we get asked, along with their answers.

Call us for a FREE confidential consultation at 800.929.0847. We’re here to help.

1. Paternity Fraud: What if the mother submits her own DNA and says it’s the father’s? Does that affect results?

ANSWER: No.

In order to manipulate results in the hope of getting a “positive” conclusion on a paternity test, a mother may try to submit her own DNA and pass it off as the alleged father’s. If this type of paternity fraud is attempted, it is caught immediately at the lab level and results will not be issued. For all paternity tests, our lab includes the amelogenin gene in order to verify the gender of all participants, including the alleged father, child, and the mother (if she also opts to participate). Additionally, if the mother participates as herself in the test, but also submits her own samples as the alleged father’s, the two profiles would be identical. The DNA profiles for two separate people can never be the same unless they are identical twins, so the lab would immediately suspend testing and request new samples.

LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW TO UNDERSTAND PATERNITY TEST RESULTS >

2. Paternity Fraud: What if the alleged father switches his samples with someone else’s? Does that affect results?

ANSWER: Yes.

When doing an at-home test, a possible father may commit paternity fraud by swabbing someone else’s cheeks and submitting that man’s DNA as if it were his own. This can definitely affect results, since the integrity of the samples has been compromised. If the possible father actually is the biological father of the child being tested, the report would nevertheless show a 0% probability of paternity since it was not his DNA that was tested. Keep in mind that a mother could also swab someone else and try to pass off the sample as her child’s, and that’s also fraud.

This is why DDC does not put names of participants on at-home tests and also why results of at-home testing are not court-admissible—the participants’ identities (and therefore the identity of their DNA) cannot be absolutely verified.

What you can do to prevent this type of fraud: We always give two recommendations.

1. If you cannot trust a participant to be honest, insist on being in the same room when doing DNA collection and watch each other swab cheeks and seal those swabs in the kit envelopes. Then, go together to the post office to mail them. Being each other’s witnesses can definitely mitigate the possibility of fraud while giving everyone greater peace of mind.
  2. If you live in different towns or states and witnessing each other is not possible, it’s best to err on the safe side and pay a little extra for a legal paternity test collection. With this type of test, all participants go to an approved facility to have their DNA collected—wherever they live. The approved DNA collector verified IDs, takes photos of all participants, witnesses DNA collection, and ensures samples are sent to the lab without having been tampered with.

3. Paternity Fraud: Can someone alter their DNA by eating or drinking before swabbing their cheeks?

ANSWER: No.

A person attempting to commit paternity fraud may eat or drink something prior to swabbing, with the hope of affecting results. Kit instructions advise to not eat, drink, or smoke for one hour prior to swabbing cheeks for testing. It’s not because the DNA could “change” by putting something in the mouth, but rather, because the quality of the sample could be affected. DNA cannot be changed by eating or drinking, but a swab contaminated with baby formula or food residue may be too difficult to extract DNA from. If this happens, testing is suspended and no report is issued until the customer can submit new samples. It’s an inconvenience for the customer since it requires extra testing time, but it doesn’t affect results at all.

Final Thoughts about Paternity Fraud

Since 1993, DDC has been providing trusted and accurate paternity testing services—for both peace-of-mind customers and those who need answers for court. We run every test twice, and you can be sure results are accurate for the samples we’ve been provided. We do everything we can on our end to stop paternity fraud dead in its tracks, and encourage customers to do their due diligence as well. It’s the wise and cautious thing to do!

Call us at 800-929-0847: We’re here to help.

Do you have questions or comments about this topic? Share in the comments and we’ll answer.
97 Comments
  1. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (2)

Dallason May 30, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Public school today as a father / courts DNA lab wife fights for another test she refuses to test my swab remained in this phlebotomy Plus for a week waiting for her to bring the child in for his swap test comes back on the father but I just found out did she went to school at that lab to become a phlebotomist and she work for that lab as a phlebotomist so she had access to my sample for a week also I understand a father only has 50% chance of proving he’s not the father without the mother’s DNA is this true and this happened in 1999

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (3)

DDCon May 31, 2018 at 7:26 am

Hi, Dallas. No, it’s not true that there’s only a 50% chance of getting conclusive results without the mother’s DNA. In fact, in most cases it’s not required.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (4)

Joeon October 22, 2021 at 6:41 pm

I think someone submitted a dna for myself without my permission.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (5)

Jolieeon September 28, 2020 at 9:44 pm

Hi my fiancé had dna test with my son years ago and it proved he was the father. His ex is claiming her son is his aswell. She sent us dna results from her son and her boyfriend who turned out to not be the father, so she reaching out to him for a dna test. Can he compare his dna results from our sons test to her son and boyfriend’s to see if the dna alleles match?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (6)

DDCon September 29, 2020 at 1:05 pm

Hi, Joliee. It’s difficult for non-scientists to analyze for paternity, let alone a half-sibling relationship. I suggest your fiance just do a paternity test with the other child.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (7)

Waylonon January 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm

What are all the ways to figure out if a DNA test is false. My mom had one done but idk if I can trust it. She always pulls stuff like this and I just want to be sure.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (8)

DDCon January 26, 2021 at 9:37 am

Hi, Waylon. The only way to know for sure is to contact the laboratory where the test was performed. If you were a participant in the test and are eligible to be informed about results and the legitimacy of a report, then that’s how you’ll know if it’s legitimate or not.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (9)

Dlaminion November 23, 2020 at 8:23 am

Why DNA for my daughter here father and my self were just sent as an email when they were sending results. Why they were not sealed ?does court’s do things like that?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (10)

DDCon November 23, 2020 at 9:45 am

Hi! Different companies and different countries may have their own rules for sending DNA-test results.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (11)

Kenton September 28, 2021 at 9:26 pm

I’m in the middle of a custody battle with my sons mother. I am on the birth certificate but she did a paternity test and the results say another man is the father. My question is, if she swabbed both test swabs from my sons cheeks, would the results give the impression of a positive paternity test? Of not, is there Another way she could have gotten false positive results with her at home test?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (12)

DDCon September 29, 2021 at 8:36 am

Hi, Kent. If she had tried to pass off your son’s DNA as the possible father’s along with submitting the child’s DNA as his own, then the lab would determine right away that the DNA on both sets of swabs is for the same person. The lab would suspend testing without issuing results and request new samples. It sounds as if she did an at-home paternity test with results that cannot be used in court. If you all have not done a chain-of-custody paternity test with witnessed DNA collection and court-admissible results, I highly recommend that you do. That way, sample collection cannot be manipulated. Call us at 800-681-7162.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (13)

Daveon October 16, 2020 at 8:19 pm

Could a mother fake a paternity test? I have done a test and it came back negative. She isn’t accepting the test and says it’s wrong. If I do another test I won’t be there to see the swabs being posted the swabs will go back with her. Is there anyway she could tamper with test to get a false positive? Also how easy would it to get the dna profiles compared (of father) from 2 different companies to see if the dna profile is a match?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (14)

DDCon October 19, 2020 at 10:28 am

Hi, Dave. All your worries could be resolved by insisting on a legal DNA test instead of doing an at-home test. That way, IDs are checked, photos of participants are taken, DNA collection is supervised, and chain of custody is maintained. It has the added benefit of court-admissible results. You and the mother/child don’t have to be in the same location for testing wither. Call 800-681-7162 for details.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (15)

Evrrolon December 27, 2020 at 8:26 am

Hi my dad and my sister and I went for test the results came back show that my sister was my father.but for me the test show that I wasn’t his, But before the test I was chewing gum can that cause the test to show a different result

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (16)

DDCon December 28, 2020 at 8:53 am

Hi, Evrrol. No, chewing gum wouldn’t change the DNA itself. The only thing it might do is affect the quality of the sample, but since you were issued results, this wasn’t a problem.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (17)

Nikkion January 27, 2021 at 12:25 am

If you do a at home DNA test and the son and father get swabbed and the mother swabs herself and replace the fathers swab with her would they be able to catch it with a at home test or no

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (18)

DDCon January 27, 2021 at 8:33 am

Hi, Nikki. Yes, the lab would catch it because the sex gene is tested. The lab would see that samples are for a female when they are supposed to be for a male.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (19)

Jordanon November 7, 2021 at 2:22 am

How can we insure the collection company (clinical labs Hawaii) makes sure the correct kid is taken in to do the paternity test swab? What steps are taken to insure the kid is the right kid? As kids don’t have picture ids. What if mother brings in her new husbands son who is same age?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (20)

DDCon November 8, 2021 at 9:18 am

Hi, Jordan. If it is legal test with court-admissible results, then the collection facility takes photographs of all participants.

2. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (21)

Victoriaon August 24, 2018 at 11:49 am

My daughters father is a well connected attorney who took a paternity test that was state issued and the test came back that he is not her father. We both know that he is. We were engaged and planned my daughters conception. My fear is that he manipulated the test by one of his connections in the lab. How is this possible?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (22)

DDCon August 28, 2018 at 8:05 am

Hi, Victoria. Since it was a legal paternity test with strict chain-of-custody protocol in place, it’s highly unlikely that he could have manipulated the test. That’s why results from these types of tests are court-admissible.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (23)

Annetteon May 28, 2020 at 8:00 am

Come I have a question do you have to have the mother in order to get and fake a DNA test or can it be done with just daughter and father and also can hou swab a presumed aunt on fathers side to take a DNA knowing his sister is fairly his sister biological and theother lives way out in las Vegas so it would be hard to get a swab from her to do a at home dna test trying to do this she to my brothers 2 ND wife insist the girl is his kid and he cheated on her 30 years ago so I would rather get a fast and put that dog to sleep so my brother can finally now he’s sick dying with copd and keeps getting accuse of it please inform me the best way to do it me and the child live in the same state/ town

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (25)

Leaon May 21, 2020 at 5:26 am

Hello Victoria. I am going thru something similar. Long story short. A man who I know is my daughters father, finally reluctantly got a test, but i wasn’t there, I do not put it past him to get a fake id for someone else to take the test, i know he did something to manipulate results n I would only accept the results if I physically was with him when he got the test done but I wasn’t. I dont know what to do or how to go about it. I haven’t seen him in almost 20 years so I can’t even say for sure if that’s his pic that was attached

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (26)

Roberton September 15, 2020 at 11:17 pm

Is it possible to get a copy of the pictures taken at the lab to make sure it was done accurately

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (27)

DDCon September 16, 2020 at 8:09 am

Robert, if you tested with DDC you would need to call us to see if it is a possibility in your case: 800-831-1906

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (28)

Susanon July 13, 2021 at 12:54 pm

Is it possible for a mother to use her father’s dna and pass it off as the childs biological father ?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (29)

DDCon July 14, 2021 at 8:52 am

Hi, Susan. For an at-home test DNA is collected by test participants and so the lab has no way of knowing if the DNA for the possible father is actually his or the mother’s father’s. If a mother uses this technique to try to manipulate results to obtain an “is the father” conclusion, then it would most likely backfire. A child and a grandfather are unlikely to match at all genetic locations.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (30)

Butterflyon September 26, 2020 at 6:39 pm

Did you get any help with your situation.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (31)

Karaon July 22, 2021 at 7:57 pm

I did a home dna test I think I labeled the swabs wrong the father was correct but I think I switched the mother and child will the lab catch it

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (32)

DDCon July 26, 2021 at 11:58 am

Hi, Kara. If the child in question is a female, then you need to contact the lab immediately because the lab has no way of knowing if they are testing a mother or child…testing doesn’t discern age. If the child is a male, then that issue isn’t a problem. However, if a male child’s DNA is in the envelope marked as being for the mother, then testing will be suspended until the matter is clarified. If you tested with DDC, we would email or text you.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (33)

Danielleon October 18, 2021 at 6:13 pm

He could have had someone give dna for him.
      This has happened to me… my father got a friend to give dna gaining himself a negative result.

3. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (34)

Annon January 11, 2019 at 2:47 pm

Can a father swab is mouth for him self and them swab is mouth for the baby to get a positive test

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (35)

DDCon January 11, 2019 at 3:06 pm

Hi, Ann. No, the lab will see that the DNA data for the father is the exact same one as for the one that should be the baby’s. They’ll suspend testing and ask for new samples. A father and child share 50% of the same DNA, but not all of it.

4. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (36)

Lindaon February 19, 2019 at 1:18 am

We found a Ancestry DNA Match on my sons profile that Match the half sister of the man I had DNA tested in 1997.I was in SD and son and We went together and had our DNA test .The accused Father was in Alabama for his test It was a court ordered test.Me the Mothers (test was Id drivers licence test) the Father was also the same I’d Drivers licence .It came back as a 0% he was the Father. It’s now 22 years later we matched to a half sister on Ancestry and to a full sister of his father who passed away in 2010. The full sister (Fathers) was a 99.987% Match . What can we do to find out where the mistake was made or perhaps even fraud because the State of South Dakota sent him child support order of $ 388.00 per month plus all back pay 17 years and a hospital bill of over $100,000.00 and DNA test didn’t happen for almost 5 mo later.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (37)

DDCon February 19, 2019 at 8:59 am

Hi, Linda. If you suspect fraud, you should contact a family-law attorney. If there’s another close relative of the alleged father who’s willing to test again, that’s an option too.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (38)

Leaon May 21, 2020 at 5:30 am

Hello Linda
      Plz let me know how this ends and what u think happened that it said he wasn’t, but u know now he is
      I’m going thru something similar and I had the thought that my alleged baby dad had a fake ID made that said his name, but had someone else’s picture. All he would have to do when results came would b to take a Polaroid of himself n swap it with whoever had the fake ID. He was the one who got the results, not me, he took.pics of the paperwork m sent to me. I fully believe he did something to manipulate results

5. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (39)

Helenaon February 27, 2020 at 10:37 am

What would happen if you took the wrong child in for an ordered DNA test?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (40)

DDCon February 28, 2020 at 8:36 am

Hi, Helena. For a legal test, IDs are checked and photographs are taken in order to identify the child who is supposed to be tested.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (41)

Jordanon November 7, 2021 at 2:30 am

We have same kinda question.. my other half is going through a paternity case to establish his rights as a father. The mother denied he is the biological father in court. We have everything set up for a legal test & the judge order for mother to bring the son to get his swab done.. what if she brings her new husbands son & tries to pass him as my other half’s son with her?

Pictures are taken? But who verifies that is the right kid? Will pictures & results be shown at next hearing so my other half can see the picture & ensure that is the right kid?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (42)

DDCon November 8, 2021 at 9:27 am

Jordan, once a court-admissible DNA test is complete, we send what’s called a “Chain of Custody Packet” that contains all pertinent information, including copies of photos taken and IDs. This helps to put everyone’s mind at ease that the correct child or children and adults were tested or will catch it if there’s a discrepancy. Hope this helps!

6. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (43)

Beckyon April 5, 2020 at 6:16 pm

Hi there! Is there possible legal consequences if a father submits someone else’s DNA to ensure the test says negative, when he knows that he is the true biological father in order to avoid providing child support ?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (44)

DDCon April 6, 2020 at 10:56 am

Hi, Becky. When a legal paternity test is performed, all participants’ IDs are checked and DNA collection is supervised in order to prevent this type of fraud.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (45)

Leaon May 21, 2020 at 5:37 am

Alright I have a question. My alleged baby dad, paid for the paternity test. I brought my minor daughter to have herself tested, but since I didn’t pay n he didn’t say for me to get a copy, the results just went to him n then he took pics of paperwork n sent to me. Since my daughter is a minor, can I call the lab where we tested to be sent the results as well.? Also any reason why it would take 4 months? He just sent me the results 2 days ago n the test was done feb.5th, something just isn’t right.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (46)

DDCon May 21, 2020 at 9:03 am

Hi, Lea. Since you didn’t test with DDC, I can’t really give you an answer. I suggest you contact the lab where you tested and see what they can do for you.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (47)

Katrinaon June 26, 2021 at 12:17 am

If you pay for dna test to be used in court but taken at home how can you be sure the correct parties are swabbed? I have a daughter with this man and my youngest he was saying was his as well but I have no recollection at all of being with him. He sent his results without me being there. We got a 99.99 back but I think he took dna from my other daughter who I know for sure is his. His test was done through your company

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (48)

DDCon June 28, 2021 at 11:24 am

Hi, Katrina. I’m a little confused…was the DNA collection witnessed when it was collected for your youngest or did they do an at-home test?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (50)

DDCon April 7, 2020 at 8:13 am

Hi, Jessica. If the lab detects two separate DNA profiles on a single swab, testing is suspended, no results are issued, and test participants are asked to submit new samples.

7. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (51)

Roberton May 19, 2020 at 2:04 pm

can my wife call the dna lab pretending that she is been treatened or some other made up story and ask for a fake result? she told me she called to see if “the lab was opened” and she told me that the place told her that it will take about 10 days to receive the samples. i did the swabbing for me and my son and sealed it and mailed it myself but now i feel scared that she interfered with the future results… it’s just a question that is been bothering me since she told me she “called them”….

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (52)

DDCon May 20, 2020 at 11:35 am

Hi, Robert. I cannot speak for other laboratories, but DDC never issues fake results.

8. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (53)

Danion June 9, 2020 at 5:44 pm

My friend falsified a test to say positive and the alleged father found out. He is telling her that the lab were the DNA test was taken is going to file charges against her, will they actually do that?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (54)

DDCon June 10, 2020 at 11:39 am

Hi, Dani. I’ve never heard of such a thing.

9. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (55)

Timothyon June 19, 2020 at 6:54 pm

Is it possible for the mother to have someone alter the DNA paperwork? I assumed that I was the father, paid for the pregnancy and support for 5 months. Then out of the blue I’m told that I’m not the father because a test was recently done. I asked for a copy of the results to verify this with the testing center.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (56)

DDCon June 22, 2020 at 9:59 am

Hi, Timothy. Was your original test a legal, witnessed one? If so, you can request a copy of the original, like you did.

10. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (57)

Kerryon June 26, 2020 at 12:01 am

My daughter is now 29 yrs old with an 8 year old little boy. She grew up without her father. She met her father her senior year of high school. They really clicked. She spent the summer with him and his wife
    They all got along great. Well a few years go by and they got divorced and he remarried. My daughter and grandson went to visit them about 3 years ago and his new wife handed my daughter a swab and the envelope. She swabed her cheek and put it in the envelope and sealed it with her email on it for the results . She didn’t see her dad swab. She left the next day. Rite after she got home she got an email from her dad’s wife, a picture of her computer that showed the DNA results sent to her email saying he wasn’t the father. My daughter never received an email and her father didn’t either. I know he is her father. It takes an evil person to manipulate DNA results. Can I file charges against her?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (58)

DDCon June 26, 2020 at 8:30 am

Hi, Kerry. That is a question best answered by a family-law attorney. But keep in mind they did an at-home test and those results are not court-admissible since DNA collection hasn’t been witnessed by an approved third party.

11. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (59)

Catherineon October 2, 2020 at 6:47 pm

Can a mother bring in a different child to do a DNA test? How does one prove a child is the right child if both parents aren’t able to be there at the same time to prove that the child being tested is the correct child?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (60)

DDCon October 5, 2020 at 10:23 am

Hi, Catherine. For a legal test, photos are taken of all test participants at the time of testing.

12. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (61)

Natashaon October 13, 2020 at 7:33 am

My child’s father is denying his son child maintenance are arranging a dna test how can I be sure he will not get someone else to do the test

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (62)

DDCon October 13, 2020 at 9:36 am

Hi, Natasha. For legal tests, photos are required for all participants to ensure the correct parties are being tested.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (63)

Tayloron November 5, 2020 at 7:13 pm

My child’s father sent someone in to do the test for him. how can i have the test retaken?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (64)

DDCon November 6, 2020 at 8:21 am

Contact the lab that conducted the test for you, Taylor.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (65)

Danielleon October 18, 2021 at 6:26 pm

Have photos always been taken? I believe a test from the late 80’s was fraudulent.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (66)

DDCon October 19, 2021 at 8:27 am

If you believe a test was fraudulent, is it possible for participants to test again? That would be the thing to do.

13. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (67)

Jalissaon October 15, 2020 at 3:35 pm

I’m in the process of getting a paternity test with my daughters father and I’ve been hearing things that I’m not quite sure is true. Is it possible that he could commit paternity fraud by putting the sperm of another man in his mouth before taking the test? I want to make sure that the paternity test can detect that.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (68)

DDCon October 19, 2020 at 10:39 am

Hi, Jalissa. The lab would detect two separate men’s profiles in this case and suspend testing until new samples could be obtained.

14. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (69)

Mikeon October 16, 2020 at 6:51 pm

If two people (possible fathers) were to use the same swab and submit it, would you be able to tell that it contains two strands of DNA and report it as contaminated? or would it only detect the actual fathers dna?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (70)

DDCon October 19, 2020 at 10:34 am

The lab would detect two separate profiles, yes, and suspend testing while new samples are requested.

15. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (71)

Reeseon November 24, 2020 at 3:46 am

What if my child’s father try to send someone else in the lab with his identification to take his test will he be caught immediately

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (72)

DDCon November 24, 2020 at 8:44 am

Hi, Reese. The answer is that in most cases yes. The DNA collector is responsible for checking IDs and then also takes a photograph of the people who show up for testing.

16. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (73)

Leonaon November 29, 2020 at 6:48 am

Hello my ex boyfriend wants to own my 3 year old daughter,I know he is not the father,she doesn’t look anything like him, a dna test was done with him and her..it came back 99.98 that he is her father..
    I believe something along is wrong firstly the dna lab ask for photos of both if them which we were unable to obtain that day,so they go ahead with out the photos,the collector swabs both of them 2 times,and refuses to seal the envelope in front of me because he said the airport opens it back to check, it took 3 weeks 3 days,where I had to call to find out if the results is there and I couldn’t obtain the results only him,they didn’t even want to gave me a copy…can the results be change to suit my ex if the collector who is the head for the lab gets paid off

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (74)

DDCon November 30, 2020 at 9:52 am

Hi, Leona. Without any knowledge or access to this case, it’s impossible for me to comment. I suggest you contact the lab where the test was performed directly and ask questions.

17. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (75)

Ivanon December 13, 2020 at 8:54 pm

if mother is supose to do testing in same place and leave the country and send buccal example from baby from other country but send hers to when is supose to send only baby sample and with out supervision off domestics relation that can be a fraud?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (76)

DDCon December 14, 2020 at 9:05 am

Hello, Ivan. I don’t have enough information to answer that question. Sorry!

18. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (77)

Tomon December 16, 2020 at 5:04 am

I posted the complete test kit (Dad/Mom/Child) back to the lab. Got results back and all good but now I’m thinking what if someone tampered with the kit in between me posting it and it arriving at lab, and by tampering I mean using the father’s swab on themselves also therefore now could THAT second males dna get picked up on the swab instead

Apologies for the convoluted question

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (78)

DDCon December 16, 2020 at 8:27 am

Hi, Tom. From what you said, it appears you maintained chain of custody of your swabs right through until posting, so you can be sure the results you were given are for the samples you submitted. There is no reason to believe a postal worker would purposefully open sample envelopes and tinker with swabs.

19. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (79)

Jenon January 12, 2021 at 6:49 pm

So I did a paternity test with my daughter and then man who we thought was her father, though we knew it was a possibility he wasn’t. Before she was born, but when she was born we were convinced that she was his and didn’t do a paternity test. Because I had really big trust issues (we had split up years before) with him, we did the test together. My daughter and him did the swans in front of me. Left and right cheeks. I felt like he did the same side once and challenged him. Anyway, we got the results and it was negative, which I was shocked at as she really looked like him.
    Is there any chance he could have taped someone else’s dna sample (eg: saliva) to the inside of his cheek, and then took the sample from there, specifically? Is this possible? I just need to know in my head before I go forward to ask another two people. So yes, I’ve said it out loud 😁. Please don’t just dismiss it? Would it be possible? Thank you for your help with this x

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (80)

DDCon January 13, 2021 at 11:02 am

Hi, Jen. Are you saying you did a prenatal paternity test before your daughter was born and then another one after she was born? If the alleged father had put someone else’s saliva in his mouth prior to swabbing, there’s an outside chance it could also have been picked up along with his DNA. In the unlikely event this happened, the lab would have found two separate DNA samples on the swab and would not have issued results.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (81)

Jenon January 13, 2021 at 8:14 pm

Hi, sorry that was an edit mistake. What I meant to say was that we knew she might not be his before she was born! We didn’t do a paternity test before. Would he have been able to have done cheek swabs from someone else and placed it somewhere in his mouth to swab? And is it correct you only pick up dna on cheeks swabs and not saliva. Thankyou for your support with this. I’ve had this going round in my head for the last year x

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (82)

DDCon January 14, 2021 at 9:03 am

Jen, swabbing always picks up a little saliva along with the cheek cells. As I mentioned, if he somehow could have put someone else’s DNA in his mouth prior to swabbing, the lab would have detected two people’s profiles on the swabs and asked for a recollection without issuing results.

20. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (83)

Jenon January 12, 2021 at 7:07 pm

(Continued) from Jen.
    I thought he might have done this (stuck another persons saliva to the inside of his cheek), as he went to the toilet just before we sat and did the swabs. Thank you again ❤️

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (84)

Faithon March 2, 2021 at 9:03 am

Did a dna recently with my son and the alleged father but it turned out that he is not the biological father ,my son looks exactly like him ,his characters and even the walking style am really stressed because he is the only person I was with during the time before I got pregnant kindly help me am going crazy

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (85)

DDCon March 2, 2021 at 11:13 am

Hi, Faith. Are you absolutely sure the man tested submitted his own DNA for testing? If you are, then you can be sure the result is for him if you used an accredited laboratory. If you did an at-home test and didn’t witness him swabbing himself or if his swabs were not in your custody at any time, then you might want to consider doing a legal test with witnessed DNA collection.

21. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (86)

Brion January 30, 2021 at 12:29 am

Hi, so I am currently 18 and my dad decided to get a DNA test for me. I look just like his two other kids always have since I was a baby but it came back that he wasn’t the father. He lied to me about when he got the results and told another family member and didn’t even mention him wanting to take the test or the results of the test with my brother. The testing center we went to never asked my age they only asked my name and my race but for him they didn’t even ask his race she just checked the box off. He purposely made sure my mom wasn’t there for the testing. I watched the lady swab his mouth and put it in a baggy, swab mine and put it in a baggy but I didn’t see her put it in a envelope and seal it. Is there any possibility there could’ve been a mix up? And if I take the siblings Test with one of my brothers from his side (we have different mothers) and it comes back that he’s my brother that means my test was rigged? And he is my father?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (87)

Brion January 30, 2021 at 12:32 am

Also he’s the one that suggested this place in a area he grew up in his whole life, at first he couldn’t get an appointment and then he popped up with an appointment out of nowhere with a time everything just seems so suspicious and they didn’t ask for any identification from either of us all they asked for was his card to pay for it.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (88)

DDCon February 1, 2021 at 9:24 am

Hi, Bri. It’s a shame you’re in such a tough spot. I need more information before providing an answer, but the process for testing that you went through isn’t the proper one for legal testing and that raises a red flag. So instead of a back-and-forth here, I suggest you contact our experts directly at 800-929-0847 to see what your best options are.

22. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (89)

Christyon March 13, 2021 at 1:17 am

How do you know if a test result has been rigged. Can the 3rd party print out a test result from the website, how do i know if it is fake?

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (90)

DDCon March 15, 2021 at 10:44 am

Hi, Christy. We can only provide information about a test report to test participants. Any participant is always welcome to call in and have the legitimacy of a DDC report confirmed.

23. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (91)

Julieon April 17, 2021 at 9:42 am

Hello, i have a question. I had doubts about who the father of my daughter was since i made the mistake to sleep with both of my exes around the same time. I recently sent in a sample of my daughter and one of my exes who i kind of already knew was not the father. I received the results and it showed he was not the father. So now i have no doubt in my mind that my second ex is the father. He continues to deny it. My question is since i already sent in one sample that included my daughter saliva, if i were to send a second one would that affect the results? Ofcourse i would swab my second ex.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (92)

DDCon April 19, 2021 at 9:18 am

Hi, Julie. You should submit fresh samples for your daughter along with the samples for the second possible father.

24. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (93)

Julieon April 23, 2021 at 9:17 pm

Can a mother fake a test. If a child and alleged father are being tested can the mother swab herself and send the sample as her daughter or would the lab know it was not a child sample

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (94)

DDCon April 27, 2021 at 10:45 am

Hi, Julie. For at-home testing where DNA is collected at home by test participants, there is no way the lab can know if the mother swabbed herself or her female child in order to manipulate results. This is why we recommend that the possible father and all test participants watch each swab, put swabs in envelopes, and then drop off at the post office.

25. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (95)

Michaelon July 15, 2021 at 2:04 am

I am a father. I have a custody case going on. The judge just told us to provide a dna paternity test. She has not let me seen my daughter in over a year. I am worried she might try to use another child or someone else’s DNA to get a negative result for the DNA test. The judge is leaning towards giving me full custody. I have done my own lawyer litigation. How can I prevent this from happening ? We live in separate towns.

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (96)

DDCon July 15, 2021 at 8:29 am

Hello, Michael. You need to do a chain-of-custody legal test with court-admissible results, which you can learn more about here: https://dnacenter.com/paternity-testing/legal-paternity-testing/
      This type of test prevents fraud since DNA collection is supervised, photographs are taken, IDs are checked, and samples are submitted directly to the lab by the third-party DNA collector to prevent tampering. I suggest you give our experts a call for more info or to get started: 800-929-0847. Good luck!

26. Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (97)

Jane doeon October 24, 2021 at 10:15 am

Hi my boyfriend for years been doubting that his daughter was his!!so I bought the test when he went to do test his baby mother didn’t let him do the test so he was only able to get one cotton swab now he doesn’t even want to try again cause his babymother won’t let him see his child this been a hard situation to swallow I’m all together done

• Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (98)

DDCon October 25, 2021 at 8:47 am

Hi, Jane. His next step might be to contact a family-law attorney to see if the court could compel the mother to allow testing.

Submit a Comment

Paternity Fraud: Your Top 3 Questions Answered| DDC (2024)

References